Working in a busy garage or workshop can be a messy business, not to mention noisy. These workstations require heavy-duty cleaning products to remove all the dust, tools and debris.
To tidy up after using power tools, you need a powerful vacuum.
Unfortunately, standard vacuums aren’t strong enough to pick everything up and, if you do use one it will be detrimental to its lifespan. Instead, you need a shop vacuum.
These machines are great for picking up larger dirt and even water-waste.
The only problem with these machines though is traditionally, they are extremely noisy and disruptive. This is no good, especially for your poor ears!
Plus, if you’re working in a residential area you’ll need to keep noise pollution to a minimum.
Luckily, there is a solution: a quiet shop vac. These machines deliver the same powerful suction but have a much lower noise rating.
Knowing what features to look for when purchasing a new quiet shop vac can be tricky with the amount of models available on the current market all promising to be the best.
So, we’ve done all the hard work for you! Read on to find our top seven quiet shop vacs for garage and workshop. We’ve also included an information-packed buyer’s guide to help you with your purchase.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
This shop vacuum is a great option in terms of convenience due to its wet/dry options.
It’s also super quiet! Complete with a 74 decibel, 2-stage motor it’s both powerful and quiet as a whisper. Nothing is too much for this shop vac, be it your home, garage, workshop or jobsite.
The Vacmaster includes a 20ft power cord and a 21ft hose, so you will be able to reach any area without having to stop to plug in somewhere closer.
To make things even easier, it also comes with a remote control setting which will let you turn it on and off from wherever you are standing.
You won’t have to worry about messy cables and finding somewhere to store all the included accessories because they can all be stored on board this shop vac.
Moreover, the cartridge filter is washable, so it will last you longer. Other included accessories include a Foam Wet Filter, car nozzle, air and noise diffuser, tool caddy, different brushes, a wall mount storage rack and more!
- Noise reduction - 74 decibels, 2-stage motor is super powerful and quiet
- Storage & organization - on-board hose, cord storage and accessory storage, including a wall mount storage rack for the machine itself
- Ease of use - 20 ft power cord, 21ft hose and a remote control switch
- Multi-use - wet/dry options and easily converted into a blower
- Longevity - 2-year warranty and washable cartridge filter for added life
- Not set up for a HEPA system, so some smaller particles may be recirculated into the air
The DeWalt DXV10P is reportedly up to 50% quieter than basic shop vacuums, according to the manufacturer. So, this is the perfect option if noise reduction is your main concern.
Not only is it super quiet, it’s also powerful. With a 5.5 peak horsepower motor it will enable you to clean up every inch of your garage or workshop with ease.
This 10 gallon dual-stage wet/dry vac is fully equipped with very sturdy rubber casters to ensure smooth operation when swiveling in different directions.
Though not as long as the Vacmaster, this product has a 10ft power cord which lets you reach far away areas without having to move the vac as much.
It also has a number of great built-in features, most noteworthy being a large built-in tank drain, making it easier to remove any liquid sucked up.
It also features a built-in accessory storage bag which is very conveniently attached to the back of the vac. So, you can keep all the included accessories organized and ready to be used.
The DeWalt is also super versatile in that it has a built-in blower port which is powerful enough to blow any debris like sawdust from your garage or workshop.
- Noise reduction - claims to be up to 50% quieter than basic models
- Powerful - 5.5 peak horsepower motor provides just the amount of suction needed to most any cleanup job
- Storage & organization - built-in accessory bag for storage organization, built-in tank drain, and more
- Sturdy - strong rubberized casters for smooth swiveling
- Multi-use - wet/dry options and easily convert into a blower
- Some users found it to be less powerful when it comes to sucking up water
This flexible and durable helmet is one of the best in today’s market. Built for a range of water sports, this piece of headwear is equipped to keep you looking great and feeling safe.
Whether you’re a beginner tackling your first wave or a professional looking to play hard, this helmet will provide you with the reliable protection you need.
From a brand known for their recognizable and unique style, this model comes in four finishes, including a ‘satin orange’ which will not only ensure you stand out but can be extremely useful in terms of lifeguard visibility with there are ultra-crowded line-ups.
With its high-density injection-molded ABS shell and its soft, quick-absorbing EVA liner, the helmet provides not only effective protection but comfort around the top of the neck and the ears.
For further comfort, the straps of the helmet are made of a soft, nylon, webbed material rather than the harsh plastic that many manufactures tend to use.
This helmet with its durability, ventilation, and practical composition is one that is known for its mass appeal amongst surfers and water enthusiasts worldwide.
If you are looking for a high-standard, substantial value for money model, you will not regret choosing the Pro-Tec Ace Water helmet.
- Light and comfortable fit
- Closed-cell padding which prevents water build-up
- Safety Standard Certification verified
- Equipped with 15 open vent holes
- Universal and built for a range of water sports
- Non-adjustable straps
Another super convenient option is the Fein Turbo shop vacuum. It features an auto-start function, so your vacuum will start automatically - perfect if you only have one hand free during a quick tidy up.
For a quiet vac it’s not as quiet as some of the others listed in this review, but it’s still pretty good. With a noise rating of 66 decibels it certainly isn’t out of the running.
The machine has an impressive flow rate of 151 cfm and approval for dust class L.
It also delivers a 98.4 inch water lift with a maximum capacity of 8.4 gallons! So, you'll be able to clean even the dirtiest garage or workshop with ease.
Its performance is outstanding. Expect powerful suction and use of tool coupling with suction control, so you’ll still be in charge of this powerful machine.
It’s so easy to use, not only can you make use of suction control, it also has large wheels that allow you to rotate 360 degrees for ultimate maneuverability, great in tight conditions.
This vac also comes with a super long 19ft power cord and a 13ft vacuum hose, so you can reach further without having to unplug and move the vacuum.
Moreover, this vacuum comes with a number of great accessories that can be easily stored on board for easy organization and storage.
- Noise reduction - noise rating of 66 decibels is impressive considering how powerful this vac is
- Ease of use - auto-start feature means it will turn on automatically when you go to use it plus, 360 degree swivel wheels
- Performance - 98.4 inch water lift with a maximum capacity of 8.4 gallons, 151cfm flow rate
- Hose - 19ft power cord and 13ft hose to reach further areas
- Some users found the automatic shut off feature can be temperamental
One of the quietest options is this Festool model. With a noise rating of just 62 decibels when on it’s lower setting it’s perfect for those looking for a quieter machine.
Its high performance turbine allows you to utilize its high suction which is adjustable to suit the job. Either use the manual on/off switch or make use of the super convenient automatic tool triggered start/stop function.
The suction hose is high quality to make every job run smoothly.
The hose is 11 ½ ft long featuring anti-static technology to stop any debris clogging up the hose. It's also super flexible and anti-kink.
Complete with large wheels for optimum maneuverability plus its ergonomic design makes it super easy to move around your garage or workshop.
Unlike the other vacuums in this review, the Festool model features a HEPA system which will allow you to suck up even the smallest of dust particles to ensure your jobsite is squeaky clean after every job.
- Noise reduction - noise rating of just 62 decibels
- Ease of use - ergonomic design and large wheels makes it easy to maneuver
- Performance - HEPA system delivers optimum performance
- Features - 11 1/2ft hose, HEPA, anti-static, kink-resistant
- Multi-use - can be used to drain waste water to keep you jobsite clean
- Does not come with an automatic filter cleaner
The Craftsman CMXEVBE makes use of Dual-Flex technology making the 2 ½ inch (in diameter) hose super flexible and kink-proof giving you optimum mobility.
It comes complete with a built-in power port that allows you to convert it into a blower. So, any leaves etc. blown into your workshop or garage can be easily removed.
Moreover, this model features an oversized drain to make emptying liquids much easier.
This model comes with a good number of additional accessories including a 2 ½ inch x 7ft dual-flex hose, two extension wands, a utility nozzle, car nozzle, wet nozzle, dust collection bag and more! This shop vac has everything you need!
With a very powerful 6.5 peak horsepower motor, this vac is the perfect option for larger garages and workshops.
- Oversized drain - means emptying liquids from wet function is easier
- Multi-purpose - option to use it as a blower and as a wet vac
- Power - 6.5 peak horsepower motor for larger projects
- Hose - 2 ½ inch x 7ft dual-flex hose for added mobility and suction power
- Accessories - huge range of accessories to maximize use
- Its budget-friendly price means its manufacturing materials are less sturdy than more expensive models
The Ridgid 50353 shop vac is super user-friendly. The unit includes a push-handle as well as large rear wheels for increased mobility, particularly over steps and other tricky terrain.
Its 1-7/8-inch x 8-foot hose is super flexible and locks into place when in use.
It is also four times more durable than a standard hose, according to the manufacturer. This hose also fits all 2-1/2-inch accessories.
The Scroll Noise Reduction feature promises quiet operation while remaining super powerful.
Its stainless steel drum and 6.5 peak horsepower motor deliver high quality performance of a professional-grade machine.
This machine also has an impressive drain port to allow for a quick and thorough disposal of liquids.
It’s also a versatile unit that features a blower port so, not only can you use this as a wet/dry vac, you can also use it to blow away any leaves or debris!
- Drain port - means emptying liquids from wet function is easier
- Noise reduction - Scroll Noise Reduction feature to keep noise to a minimum
- Performance - stainless steel drum and 6.5 Peak Horsepower motor
- Hose - 1-7/8-inch x 8-foot hose locks in place, is four times more durable than our standard hose, and fits 2-1/2-inch accessories
- Cleaning - Qwik Lock Filter Fastening System mean quicker installation and cleaning
- Some users found this machine could benefit from a longer power cord
7 Quiet Shop Vacs for Garage and Workshop Buying Guide
When it comes to picking the best shop vac that’s quiet enough for your garage or workshop, there are a few important features to take into consideration.
Below is our handy buyer’s guide that will take you through the buying process step by step.
Traditional shop vacs can be very loud so if you’re working in a residential area or anywhere that requires you to be a bit quieter, you need a shop vac with a low noise rating.
For this, you’re looking at a shop vac with a noise rating of no more than 70 decibels, although below 65 is ideal. If you can find one even lower than this that would be even better.
By far one of the more important factors to consider is how powerful the shop vac is.
This depends on the motor size and is measured in peak horsepower. Generally you will need your shop vac to be at least five peak horsepower - the higher, the better.
These types of vacuums need to be powerful enough to pick up the mess that comes with working in a garage or workshop.
So, it needs to be able to pick up items like screws, lots of dust, debris and more.
Most shop vacuums will come with lots of handy accessories to make your job easier. All models will come with at least a hose and power cord.
Ideally, you want the longest possible option for these to enable you to reach further away areas without having to move the vac.
The hose should also be not too big so that it hinders maneuverability but not so thin that you have to compromise on suction ability.
You also want the hose to be as flexible as possible and kink-resisant to avoid blockages.
Other accessories can include a remote control and/or automatic on/off functions. These are great additions in terms of improving the usability.
You want your shop vac to be able to collect a large amount of debris or waste water without having to stop to change the bag. This is particularly important if you work in a larger space.